Interlibrary Loan Policies
- What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
- Interlibrary loan is a service provided by the library that allows current students, staff and faculty to obtain, from other libraries, materials and copies of periodical articles that are not available at the SUNY Sullivan library.
- Interlibrary Loan Users and Services
- The library provides ILL services to all current students, staff, faculty and community members.
- Time for ILL
- Obtaining items via interlibrary loan takes time, so please plan your requests accordingly. The more lead-time you give us, the more successful we can be in obtaining your items. Delivery time depends on the type of material and its availability. Most items arrive in 5 to 7 days. Articles tend to come more quickly than books and videos which need to be shipped. Shipped materials may take longer than 7 days depending on the shipping distance. Articles can be delivered electronically if you so choose. All other materials obtained via interlibrary loan, including photocopies of articles, must be picked up at the service desk in the library. Video requests will only be honored for staff and faculty. Please note that despite our best efforts it may be impossible to obtain certain items.
- Costs of ILL
- Interlibrary loan is a costly service for all libraries involved. To interlibrary loan items is approximately $27 per item. As a result, interlibrary loan is primarily intended to support academic coursework and research.
While there is no cost to borrow materials through ILL unless there is a charge by the lending institution, the person making the request is responsible for payment if there is a charge. The only acceptable method of payment is a check made out to the lending library. Patrons give consent to charges when they complete the ILLiad form.
- Items borrowed from ILL may be renewed at the discretion of the lending library. Please request a renewal 5 days before the due date.
- Late fees
- Fines for overdue ILL books are $5 per day. This charge applies to all users.
To request materials via interlibrary loan you must set up an account in ILLiad, our interlibrary loan management software. Please set up only ONE account.
To log on to ILLiad go to the following URL
To setup your account follow the “First Time Users” link, read the instructions and submit the necessary information.