SUNY Sullivan is seeking to fill the position of Controller. The Controller reports to the College President. This position oversees the daily operations of the Student Accounts Office, general accounting, data control, payroll, contracts and grants accounting, accounts payables, plant fund accounting, working capital investments, purchasing and accounts receivables.
This position assists the College’s external auditor in the preparation of the annual audit plan as it relates to the preparation of the College Annual Fiscal Report to the State University of New York. The Controller provides direct supervision to: the Assistant Controller, Bursar, College Affiliate Accountant, and Coordinator of Purchasing. This position is classified as Management/Confidential and is not represented by a collective bargaining unit.
- Bachelor’s degree with 7 or more years’ experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified, along with
- experience in management and leadership positions.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Preferred
- Knowledge of federal and state financial regulations, and SUNY financial policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of current changes and/or developments in federal, state, local accounting laws, and College policies and procedures.
- Ability to develop financial plans and manage resources.
- Knowledge of fiscal controls related to the safeguarding of institutional funds.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and/or projections.
- Skill in budget preparation and fiscal management.
- Knowledge of computerized information systems used in financial and/or accounting applications.
- Knowledge of staff hiring procedures.
- Organizing and coordinating skills.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees the overall operations of unit(s) reporting to this position.
- Exercises broad supervision of unrestricted and restricted fiscal activity to ensure sufficient fiscal controls to safeguard institutional funds while allowing the College to accomplish its mission.
- Maintains current knowledge of and implements changes based on College policies and procedures, federal and state policies and
- directives, and current accounting practices which directly or indirectly impact the College and its component units.
- Coordinates financial statements, annual financial reports, audit activities, and other information reports and requests to ensure the
- accuracy and integrity of financial reporting. Serves as the College’s financial audits coordinator.
- Leads the development and management of the College’s annual budgets for and performs periodic cost and productivity analyses.
- Provides assistance to the College’s divisions, departments and component units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures.
- Provides costing data for revenue generating programs to assist divisions and departments in the development of new programs and the reporting for the outcomes of existing programs.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the department’s goals and objectives; trains, supervises, and evaluates departmental staff.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives and operating procedures; monitors effectiveness and implements changes required for improvement.
- Oversees, approves, and implements computer software, hardware, and networks, and provides leadership in the management, design, and development of automated financial management systems which support the fiscal and operational functions of the College.
- Recommends and participates in the development of College policies and procedure
- Serve on College committees.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
COVID-19 Vaccination required
SUNY Sullivan offers an extensive compensation packet for this position, including:
- 18 Sick Days (annually)
- 24 Vacation Days (annually)
- 6 Personal Days (annually)
- Observance of 15 holidays*
- Summer Fridays*
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Long Term Disability
- Participation in the NYS retirement system
- 403 (b)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Life & AD&D
- Access to onsite Daycare
- Wellness Program & access to the cardio & weight rooms in the Field House
- Community Garden on campus
- And more!
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; however, for full consideration we strongly encourage candidates to submit all required materials prior to the review start date of November 8, 2021. The hiring range for this position is $70,000 to $80,000.
Apply in less than 5 minutes using our Applicant Tracking System! Please submit your cover letter, CV, and the contact information for 3 professional references.
Benefits with an * next to it are contractually driven, subject to change. More details upon hire.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity College
SCCC is an equal opportunity employer. SCCC is committed to extending equal opportunity in employment to all qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. SCCC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. Hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States.
American with Disability Act Requirements
External and Internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, must be able to perform the essential position responsibilities as listed in this position description either aided or unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the college on a case by case basis.