SUNY Sullivan is seeking to fill the position of Buildings & Grounds Maintenance Worker. You will participate as a member of the B&G team in carrying out the day-to-day operations and activities of the Buildings & Grounds Unit. This position performs a variety of routine tasks involved in the maintenance and repair of buildings, grounds, and equipment. The duties of the position involve the thorough execution of unskilled tasks which follow a well-established routine or specifically defined assignment such as snow removal, lawn maintenance, moving furniture and replacing filters. All work is done under general supervision.
Evening and weekend hours may be required.
This position provides reports to the B&G Maintenance Supervisor. It is classified as non-competitive Civil Service and the incumbent is a member of the Teamsters bargaining unit.
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma and one (1) year of work experience in a position requiring the use of standard hand tools in a mechanical or construction trade or in grounds maintenance or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Completed coursework and/or experience in one or more of the following trades desirable: Landscaping; Small Engine Repair; Plumbing; Electrical; Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC); Carpentry; and/or Masonry.
- Basic knowledge of: modern buildings and grounds maintenance and repair methods, materials and equipment; standard safety precautions used in working in potentially hazardous situations; the uses of standard mechanical tools and equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to learn how to properly operate new building and grounds maintenance equipment and follow new B&G procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and follow oral and written directions.
- Ability to interact well with people at all levels.
- Demonstrated ability to participate as a contributing member of a work team.
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours, including nights and weekends.
- Willingness to work outdoors under adverse weather conditions.
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
- Proficiency with e-mail as a means of communication and the ability to complete computer forms.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: Possession of a valid New York State Driver’s License appropriate to the vehicles operated.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists skilled craftsman by performing a variety of semi-skilled tasks in painting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical wiring, roofing, heating, and air conditioning.
- Participates in general grounds maintenance activities, including raking leaves, planting and caring for trees, shrubs and plants, mowing lawns, cutting brush, digging trenches, sweeping sidewalks, and shoveling snow.
- Assists with basic mechanical duties involved in the maintenance and repair of small motors, heating and ventilation equipment, and other buildings and grounds equipment.
- Make minor repairs to building and equipment.
- Drive vehicles to make mail pick up or deliveries, transact bank business, pick up supplies, or perform other chauffeur or messenger functions.
- Perform routine labor or cleaning duties such as moving furniture, replacing light bulbs, collecting or disposing of trash, hanging pictures, assembling furniture, and putting up shelves.
- Assists in special event and classroom set-ups as required.
- May operate trucks, automobiles, air compressors and other motorized equipment.
- May keep basic records and reports on maintenance performed and materials used.
- May assist in mail room or stock room as required.
- Completes assigned work completed on on-time, in budget and at expected level of quality.
- Performs other reasonable and appropriate duties as might be assigned by the B&G Maintenance Supervisor
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; the review of resumes will begin immediately. The starting salary for this position is $40,403, $19.35 per hour.
Apply in less than 5 minutes using our Applicant Tracking System at the link below! Please submit your cover letter, resume, and the contact information for 3 professional references.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity College
SCCC is an equal opportunity employer. SCCC is committed to extending equal opportunity in employment to all qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. SCCC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. Hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States.
SUNY Sullivan is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity College. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees will be required to perform other job-related instructions given by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations. The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job.
American with Disability Act Requirements
External and Internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, must be able to perform the essential position responsibilities as listed in this position description either aided or unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the college on a case by case basis.