Loch Sheldrake, NY —SUNY Sullivan’s Nurse Aide Training Program is offering a Certified Nurse Aide course this spring from April 25 – June 17 in cooperation with Sullivan County Workforce Development. This continuing education course prepares students for the NYS Certification Exam to become a Certified Nurse Aide (Certified Nursing Assistant). CNAs work as part of a healthcare team in a long-term care or skilled nursing facility. Students learn through classroom sessions and clinical experience how to perform non-medical services. They will also learn how to provide supports for residents who need help with daily activities, such as feeding, dressing, grooming and ambulation.
The eight-week course runs from April 25 – June 17, Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, from 9 am–2:30 pm. In weeks seven and eight, there will be a clinical experience on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7am–3 pm at the Roscoe Nursing Home, with those Fridays being review and prep days for the state certification exam.
Tuition for the course is $2,000. To see if you qualify for a sponsorship through Sullivan County Workforce Development, please contact their office at 845 807-0387.
For more information about the Certified Nurse Aide course, tuition, fees, requirements, or the application process, contact Bridget Schiffer at 845 434-5750 ext. 4242 or email@example.com.
Nurse Aide Training Program Requirements:
- Be a minimum of 18 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Demonstrate basic reading comprehension skills
- Pass a background check
- Negative PPD (TB) test
- Current immunization records (MMR)
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID 19 and booster when eligible
- Be in good physical health
SUNY Sullivan provides:
- Course textbook and workbook
- 2 nursing scrubs
- SUNY Sullivan patch
- Must wear all black or all white clean sneakers or nursing shoes.
- Must register for Castle Branch background check and submit to college. There is a fee associated with this process.
- Submit a copy of your COVID 19 vaccination card (including booster) and your up-to-date immunization record to the SUNY Sullivan Health Services Office or email copies to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to starting the course. If emailing, please include a note that you are a CNA student.
- Take and submit a Negative PPD (TB) test prior to starting clinical rotation. Your instructor will let you know when this should be done.
- Complete Sullivan County Workforce Development reading test or the college competency test.
- Pay $2,000 tuition. You may qualify for tuition assistance through the Sullivan County Workforce Development Center, please call 845 794-3340 for further information.
- Students are responsible for the Prometric Certification Exam fees.
Expectations for Nurse Aid students:
- Complete daily reading and workbook homework assignments.
- CNA students are required to have 100% class attendance in order to be eligible for certification.
- Tardiness is not acceptable and will affect your grade
- Students must wear their nursing scrubs provided by SUNY Sullivan to class and to clinical.
- Professional appearance. During clinical students must have short and clean nails, hair tied back, and no jewelry except for a watch with a second hand.
About SUNY Sullivan
SUNY Sullivan is the leader of innovative higher education and a catalyst for workforce development throughout the Sullivan Catskills and beyond. Our diverse community cultivates personal growth and professional advancement, preparing students for success in a sustainable and interconnected world. A forward-looking, top-tier community college in New York, SUNY Sullivan offers over 40 degree programs, certificates, and micro-credentials for learners at all levels of their educational goals. We value critical inquiry and creativity while supporting our students in a culture of inclusion and respect.