Addressing Coronavirus ConcernsShare on Twitter!
For Information about student grants through Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, click here.
The COVID-19 (coronavirus) situation is changing rapidly, both domestically and abroad. SUNY Sullivan is working closely with the Sullivan County Department of Health, the State University of New York and other authorities to do our part to protect against the spread of the virus in our region.
We are closely monitoring this fluid situation and following guidance from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH), Sullivan County Department of Health and the New York State Education Department.
There are a number of steps that students, staff and community members can take to minimize the spread of all respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19, according to the state Department of Health:
- Clean your hands often by washing them with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%–95% alcohol. Soap and water should be used if hands are visibly dirty. It is especially important to clean hands after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after coughing, sneezing, or blowing your nose
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
If you or a family member begin showing symptoms of a respiratory disease and suspect it may be COVID-19, contact your healthcare provider. Before going to your healthcare provider’s office, inform them that a case of COVID-19 is suspected, and follow their advice.
In addition, New York has established a Novel Coronavirus Hotline, which can provide additional information. Call 1-888-364-3065 with questions or concerns about travel and symptoms. SUNY Sullivan will continue to share information as it becomes available.
Please know that, as always, the health and safety of our students and staff is our highest priority, and we will remain vigilant in our efforts to help prevent the spread of this illness.
About the Novel Coronavirus
Recently, a new coronavirus – 2019 Novel (New) Coronavirus which causes an illness called COVID-19 – was detected that has not been previously found in humans. This coronavirus can lead to fever, cough and shortness of breath. There are thousands of confirmed cases in China and additional cases being identified in a growing number of countries internationally, including the United States with several cases recently reported in New York.
For more information go to
- CDC: Coronavirus
- World Health Organization: Coronavirus
- Local NYS County Health Departments: https://www.health.ny.gov/contact/contact_information/
- Sullivan County Health Department http://sullivanny.us/Departments/Publichealth/Coronavirus