This program is designed for students who have an active interest in environmental problems. The goal of the program is to provide a strong background in science, allowing students to be sensitive and knowledgeable about the complex environmental issues facing contemporary society. It is designed to accommodate varied interests and future plans of the student and is suitable for transfer to upper division programs in Environmental Studies, Environmental Science, Interdisciplinary Studies, Education, and other curricula.
Graduates of the Environmental Studies – AS will have demonstrated:
- knowledge of a variety of environmental issues from varying perspectives,
- knowledge of the principles of chemistry and mathematics,
- the ability to conduct scientific experiments using the scientific method,
- the ability to work safely and effectively in a laboratory environment and in the field, using a variety of equipment,
- the critical thinking skills necessary to draw conclusions from scientific data.
Graduates will also:
- be able to speak and write effectively about environmental issues,
- transfer to four-year institution to earn a bachelor’s degree in environmental studies or environmental science.