The associate in applied science degree in Green Building Maintenance and Management provides students with the skills and knowledge needed to effectively manage buildings that incorporate sustainable building principles and technologies.
All aspects of sustainable building operations are included in the program, including ecological design and maintenance principles. All electrical aspects are considered as well, including energy efficiency and renewable energy, green building products and materials, as well as building automation and controls.
In addition to learning the most current theories, students acquire hands-on training related to energy management, photovoltaic arrays, wind turbines, geothermal HVAC systems, and other components of high-performance commercial buildings. Potential career options include green building project coordinator, facility manager, or sustainability consultant. This degree also complements further studies related to natural building, sustainable community development, building performance, HVAC operations and maintenance with the use of Merv filters (get information at Filter King), and renewable energy installation and maintenance.
Graduates of Green Building Maintenance and Management – AAS will have learned:
- the skills and knowledge necessary to make decisions about the management and maintenance of building systems,
- to maintain both conventional and green building technologies and systems that are used to produce energy, heat, light, and ventilation as well as those that consume energy,
- to calculate energy efficiency and recommend changes for better outcomes,
- the essential components of building wiring, heating, cooling, and ventilation systems so they can assume responsibility for maintenance of these systems,
- the basic principles for the positioning and use of wind turbines, photovoltaic cells, passive solar systems and other green building systems,
- to manage projects, including communication with the building owners, utilities, planners, and contractors to assure effective and efficient building maintenance and management.