The Green Building Technology, AAS, provides students with the knowledge, skills and abilities needed to design, construct, operate and maintain sustainable buildings and renewable energy systems.
The Program includes all aspects of sustainable building design, construction, operation and maintenance: building science principles; energy efficiency and renewable energy; green building products and materials; building automation and controls; sustainable landscaping and site selection; the LEED and Passive House building assessment systems; and life-cycle economic analysis. Many of the courses provide the knowledge to successfully pass industry certification such as; LEED GA, LEED AP or LEED SITES Initiative Coordinator and NABCEP PV Associate. In addition to learning the most current theories, students acquire hands-on training related to energy management, photovoltaic arrays, wind turbines, geothermal HVAC systems, and other components of high-performance residential and commercial buildings. Potential career paths include green building project coordinator, PV installer, energy rater, facility manager, or sustainability consultant. This degree also complements further studies related to construction management, sustainable community development, building performance, HVAC operations and maintenance, and renewable energy installation and maintenance.
Graduates of Green Building Technology – AAS will have learned:
- the skills and knowledge necessary to make decisions about building design, construction, maintenance and operation of sustainable building that meet or exceed green building standards,
- the ability to maintain both conventional and green building technologies and systems that are used to produce energy, heat, light, and ventilation as well as those that consume energy,
- the expertise needed to calculate energy efficiency and recommend changes for better outcomes,
- the essential components of building wiring, heating, cooling, and ventilation systems so they can work in all aspects of the building trades industry
- the proficiency to assess solar and wind resources; design, install and maintain grid tied, grid tied with battery back and off grid renewable energy systems, evaluate and design passive solar systems and other green building systems,
- the capacity to evaluate, design, build and maintain sustainable landscapes
- the capability to manage projects including communication with the building owners, utilities, planners, and contractors to assure green building standards and building codes are meet.
Course Offerings….What is the format
- All ten Green Building (GRB) courses are listed as online
- Five GRB courses spring and five different courses in the fall
- Weekly live webinars (instructor and student): webinars are recorded and uploaded for working professionals and students with conflicting schedules
- Instructor recorded audio and video lessons five to fifteen minute snapshot lessons in all fifteen weeks of all ten GRB classes
- Hands-on field trips to SUNY Sullivan, green building and renewable energy projects
- Free admission to several local green building expos and conferences
- Free professional membership to US Green Building Council and Buildinggreen.com
- Free green jobs training opportunities in the Hudson Valley
- Internship opportunities