SUNY Sullivan Announces Scholarship, Bethel Woods Ticket Winners of 2021 Vaccine Raffle

Twenty-one-year-old Tiffany Bivens asked the universe for something amazing to happen, and SUNY Sullivan delivered by awarding her free room and board on campus for the entire 2021-22 academic year.

“When I won, my whole world stopped for just a few minutes,” Bivens said. “I thought about just how often I asked the universe for something amazing to happen, and I am just unbelievably grateful for this opportunity.”

Bivens, of Downsville in Delaware County, is studying psychology at SUNY Sullivan, and is one of two full-time students to win a scholarship through SUNY Sullivan’s 2021 raffle. Grahamsville native Kia Connor, 23, was the other scholarship recipient, winning free tuition for the entire 2021-22 academic year.

“I thought about just how often I asked the universe for something amazing to happen, and I am just unbelievably grateful for this opportunity.”

“I was so relieved to hear I had received the scholarship,” said Connor, who is pursuing a career as a mortician. “I refuse to let life pass me by; today in this moment you have the power to make something great, so do it.” 

Connor and Bivens were selected at random from more than 150 people who submitted entries to the raffle, which was open to SUNY Sullivan full-time students who live in New York and have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Other prizes in the raffle included concert tickets, courtesy of Bethel Woods Center For The Arts. AnnaBelle Marchese, 18, of Livingston Manor, won two tickets to see Chris Stapleton, with special guests Margo Price and Kendell Marvel, while Mackenzie Pennell, also 18, of Ferndale, was awarded two tickets to see Pitbull, featuring Iggy Azalea. 

“Congratulations to all the winners; we are so excited to welcome you to campus this fall, and wish you the best for the coming year,” said SUNY Sullivan President Jay Quaintance. “And thank you to Bethel Woods Center for the Arts for its generous donations to our raffle.”

Quaintance continued: “Our goal was to promote vaccinations for the safety and well-being of everyone on campus. No one has transmitted COVID-19 on the SUNY Sullivan campus to date, and we’re confident that our students will do their part to try to maintain that level of safety.”

About SUNY Sullivan

SUNY Sullivan is the leader of innovative higher education and a catalyst for workforce development throughout the Sullivan Catskills and beyond. Our diverse community cultivates personal growth and professional advancement, preparing students for success in a sustainable and interconnected world. A forward-looking, top-tier community college in New York, SUNY Sullivan offers over 40 degree programs, certificates, and micro-credentials for learners at all levels of their educational goals. We value critical inquiry and creativity while supporting our students in a culture of inclusion and respect. For more information go to sunysullivan.edu.

# # #

Scroll to Top