Residential Life

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQs About Residential Life

Living on campus can be a wonderful experience. We know your experience will be more fun if you bring some items to make your room your temporary home.
Review this list carefully, as not all students will want or need everything listed here.
This list is not all encompassing, if you have a question on whether something is allowed; please do not hesitate to email

These are only suggestions, and not an inclusive list.

  • Posters/pictures to hang on the wall (with 3M-type stickers)
  • Plastic stackable storage bins
  • Microwaveable cups, plates, bowls, silverware
  • Shower caddy (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, shower shoes, etc.
  • Small coffee pot (with automatic shut off only)
  • First Aid Kit
  • Backpack
  • School supplies
  • Power strips
  • Laundry detergent (liquid for High Efficiency Machines)
  • Sheets (extra long beds), pillows, blankets
  • Computer
  • Prescription Medications
  • Umbrella
  • Snacks
  • A variety of clothes (but not your entire wardrobe)
  • Shoes
  • Cell phone/charger
  • Planner and a calendar
  • Erasable white board

NOTE: Eco Green Townhouses already equipped with full kitchen.

This list is not all encompassing, if you have a question on whether something is allowed; please do not hesitate to email 

  • Candles, incense and incense burners (all of these items are a fire hazard)
  • Space heaters
  • Halogen lamps
  • Lava Lamps
  • Multi-color octopus lamps
  • Fans (rooms are air-conditioned)
  • Coffee and tea makers (unless they have an automatic shut off)
  • Cooking appliances other than a Microwave (i.e: slow cookers, rice cookers, griddles, George Forman Grills, toasters, toaster ovens, deep fryers, etc.)
  • Deep Freezers
  • Extension Cords (surge protector/power strips only)
  • Juicers/blenders
  • Pets (Fish are ok)
  • Water, gel or Loft Beds
  • Lofting Kits/bed risers
  • Dartboards/darts
  • Air horns
  • Hookahs
  • Fireworks/flammable liquids
  • Weapons of any type (BB/Paintball guns, swords, knives, box-cutters, etc)
  • Alcoholic beverages, empty alcohol bottles, shot glasses, wine glasses, ping pong balls, funnels, etc
  • Non-prescription/illegal drugs and Paraphernalia
  • Aerosol sprays of any kind
  • Cinder blocks
  • Wireless routers
  • Air Conditioners
  • Signs, Lawn Ornaments, Traffic Barricades

Your Student's Name
48 Lawrence Cooke Dr.
Loch Sheldrake, NY 12759

After you have applied for admission and been accepted to the college, please follow these steps to apply for housing. First, log into My SUNY Sullivan. Click on the “OneStop” tab. Then, click Online Forms (located on the left). Finally, select the Housing Application. You will need your student identification number and log in credentials to complete this form.

Questions? Please contact

How much does it cost to live on campus?

  • Students living in the Eco Green Townhouses will be housed in either double rooms, which cost $3,600 per semester, or triple rooms, which cost $3,900 per semester, plus an additional $100 programming fee per semester.
  • Must maintain full-time student status and be registered for twelve (12) credits
  • Must have and maintain a 2.5 GPA (new high school students must have an 80 overall HS GPA).
  • Must be between the ages of 18-25. Anyone outside of this age range must contact the office of Residential Life for a review of their application.
  • Must have fulfilled all prior financial obligations to the college and housing.

No, our residence halls are not open during Thanksgiving, winter, spring or summer breaks.

No, due to scheduling and building maintenance we unfortunately cannot accommodate early move-ins for either the Fall or Spring semester.

Late August and Mid-January. Actual dates vary from year to year.

Yes, if you and a friend are both attending SUNY Sullivan, when you each complete your housing application, there is a space for you to write in each other’s names as a request. Please keep in mind, a request is just that. All attempts will be made to honor the request, but the later the applications are completed and received, the more difficult it is to house students with their requested roommate.

If there is a conflict between roommates, students may first speak with their Resident Assistant (RA) on their wing to complete a Roommate Contract and mediation. All RAs are trained to facilitate roommate mediations and conflicts. Should your student and their roommate continue to not get along after a contract is established, your student may then work with the Resident Director of their residence hall to work on completing a room change.

You may have fish in your room. The only pets allowed in the residence halls are fish bowls/tanks (not to exceed 10 gallons). They may ONLY house fish in them; turtles, crabs, etc. are not welcome. Fish tank filters are not permitted so please consider this before purchasing any fish related supplies.

Yes! You must attend orientation as a first year student at SUNY Sullivan; even if you are a transfer student we mandate that you attend orientation. Why? Because we want to provide you with the tools you need to succeed.

Financial Aid covers the cost of your tuition first, and then whatever may be left after those expenses are covered will be applied to the cost of your housing. Many times students/families need to plan on taking out loans to assist in covering costs. For further information, please contact that Office of Financial Aid at

Housing is done on a rolling basis throughout the summer. The first round of housing placements are generally mailed mid-July and will continue throughout the summer until opening weekend in August.

A laundry facility is available in the building. The washers and dryers are operated via a web-based app that students can put on their phones.

No, regardless of what building you live in, the student is responsible for cleaning their room. There are cleaners that clean the common spaces and the bathrooms, but we ask that students be respectful and clean up after themselves in these spaces as well.


The EcoGreen Townhouses do not have a security desk due to the set-up of the building.

You will need to visit the RA, RD, or Associate Dean’s Office and complete a maintenance slip work order. In an emergency, you can visit the security desk in the lobby of the residence hall 24/7.

An RCR is a Room Condition Report that you will sign when you move into your room. It lists the condition of your room and the furniture at the time of move-in. When you move out of your room, you will fill it out a second time to compare the condition of the room and the furniture. These reports are used to help our office during damage billing at the end of the semester/year. Please pay special attention to your RCR. You will want to note any/all damage at check-in.

Work with your family to see if your belongings are covered under their homeowners/renters insurance before purchasing your own policy. The college and the Dormitory Corporation are not liable for any damages to your property during your time here.

No! SUNY Sullivan is a dry campus regardless of your age. You are not allowed to have alcohol or alcohol paraphernalia/cannabis or cannabis paraphernalia in your room.

You will get your student ID during Move-In Day. Your first ID is free, after that, replacement IDs will cost you $10 each.

No, you pay your damage deposit once and the Dormitory Corporation will hold it the entire time you are a resident here. If you are charged for damages during your first year, you will be required to make the deposit whole again before the start of your second year. Damage billing is done at the end of each semester. Please notify us of your plan to not return. Deposits, minus any possible damages fees, will be returned via check to the address we have on file for you.

You are required to pay a damage deposit in the event that any damages occur in common spaces in the building, or there are damages/cleaning fees to the furniture or surroundings of your room.

No, you will need to provide your own pots, pans, dishes and utensils.

No, unfortunately, we do not have the space and resources to store any personal belongings over the summer break. If you would like to store your belongings near SUNY Sullivan, please look to local storage facilities. To save on the cost, students may think of splitting the cost of one unit with a roommate or friend for the summer.

Follow Us

Sign up to receive email updates about SUNY Sullivan.

Please enter your name.
Please enter a valid email address.
Something went wrong. Please check your entries and try again.

For Employees     |     Current Students      |      Privacy Policy      |      Employee Directory      |      Employment

Scroll to Top