PLEASE NOTE: This evergreen job post will remain open for an indefinite period of time to collect a pool of qualified candidates, to be reviewed and contacted when there is a vacancy available. Applicants can expect that they may not be contacted at all if there is no need.
SUNY Sullivan is seeking Professional Tutors to work in the Center for Learning and Student Development Services. These are part time positions. This position requires flexible scheduling, including possible evening hours based on the needs of the department. Tutors report to the Coordinator of Tutorial and Student Success Services for assignment of hours and duties.
- College background required, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Ability to demonstrate strong knowledge in specific academic subjects
- Ability to work with a diverse student population, at many skill levels, in a friendly and supportive way.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review and reinforce what has been taught in classes for clarity and understanding through one-on-one or group tutoring
- Support learning by:
- providing expertise in specific content and cognitive areas
- directing and maintaining focus of tutorial session
- Refine students’ study skills for independent learning through the use of individual, group, or workshop sessions; topic areas may include, but are not limited to:
- note taking skills
- college textbook and reading skills
- test anxiety
- time management
- Mentor Peer Tutors
- Disseminate information and refer students to other services such as academic advising, disability services, personal counseling, and career and transfer counseling.
- Work collaboratively with faculty for assignment clarification and student guidance
- Participate in tutorial training, staff meetings, and professional development provided by the Center of Learning and Student Development Services and SUNY Sullivan.
- Maintain a professional atmosphere and workplace
*COVID-19 Vaccination is required*
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; the review of resumes will be on-going. The hiring range for this position is $15.59 to $17.15 per hour depending on experience, for a maximum of 25 hours per week, depending on the needs of the department. Apply in less than 5 minutes using our Applicant Tracking System at the link below! Please submit your cover letter, resume, and the contact information for 3 professional references.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity College
SCCC is an equal opportunity employer. SCCC is committed to extending equal opportunity in employment to all qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. SCCC encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender and/or gender identity or expression, marital or parental status, national origin, ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran or military status, age, disability or any other basis protected by applicable local, state or federal laws. Hiring is contingent on eligibility to work in the United States.
American with Disability Act Requirements
External and Internal applicants, as well as position incumbents, must be able to perform the essential position responsibilities as listed in this position description either aided or unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the college on a case by case basis.
SUNY Sullivan is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity College.
All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements. Employees will be required to perform other job-related instructions given by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodations. The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job.