SUNY Sullivan is required by the Higher Education Act amended August 14, 2008, to establish protocol for students living in campus housing and missing more than 24 hours and to provide guidance to employees handling cases involving missing persons.
The Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for investigating reports of missing person(s). The SCCC Safety and Security Department may assist the police department by providing it with information on the missing person(s).
This policy pertains to all current students of SUNY Sullivan living in the Lazarus I. Levine Hall. All students are encouraged to voluntarily provide contact information to the College in the event there is a report of a missing person.
- Missing Person – An individual whose whereabouts are unknown to the reporting party. A reporting party may be:
- a parent
- a guardian
- a roommate
- an employer/employee
- any person who should reasonably know the missing person’s whereabouts
- Missing Person’s “At Risk” – Those who fall into any one of the following categories:
- victims of foul play
- persons who need medical attention
- persons physically or mentally impaired and unable to care for themselves
- victims of abduction
- Upon receiving notification of a missing student, the Public Safety Officer/Security Officer receiving the call must first try and determine the risk status. Persons found to be “At Risk” will require an immediate response and investigation by the local police.
- If the missing student is found not to be “At Risk,” a Public Safety Officer/Security Officer will take all information from the caller to include a description of the student, the last time he/she was seen, the type/color of clothing worn, complete an Incident Report and notify the Assistant Director and/or Director of Safety & Security for further instruction.
- Upon receiving notification of a student missing who resides in Levine Hall, the Public Safety Officer/Security Officer will:
- Respond to the missing student’s room, knock and attempt to make contact with the student. If no answer, using the master key, unlock the door while announcing “Public Safety, is there anyone here”? No entry will be made to the student’s room/apartment without at least one of the following present: a Resident Assistant, the Executive Director or Resident Director, another officer or another student. If the room/apartment is empty, note the date and time of entry and who was present at that time for recording later in the Incident Report.
- Talk to the neighbors next to and across from the missing student’s room/apartment, and ask when was the last time they saw the missing student or heard her/him in the room.
- Notification to Key Campus Personnel – Upon receiving notification of a student missing, Campus Public Safety will make notification by phone, campus email or in person to the following key personnel on this Campus:
- Dean of Enrollment Mgt. & Student Development Svcs.
- Vice Presidents
VOLUNTARY CONTACT INFORMATION
- Students who have applied for housing in Levine Hall will be asked during the signing of the lease agreement to complete a Voluntary Contact Information Form. See Attachment One for a copy of the Voluntary Contact Information Form.