How to Become a Student at SUNY Sullivan

First-Time-In-College Students or Transfer Students

  1. Application
  2. Submit an application. Fully complete the SUNY Sullivan application form online at MY SUNY Sullivan and forward it to the Admissions Office. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Students falsifying applications or records are subject to immediate dismissal. There is no fee for the SUNY Sullivan application. Interested students can also complete the online SUNY application at: Please note there is a $50 fee for applying through SUNY.

  3. Transcripts
  4. Transcripts are official records of coursework taken at educational institutions. All degree-seeking students and certificate-seeking students must submit transcripts within one term or they may not register for subsequent terms. Transcripts should be received by the Admissions Office prior to orientation and registration and must show graduation with a standard high school diploma or high school equivalency diploma. Applicants who have a General Education Development (GED) diploma must submit official transcripts from a state Department of Education. Transfer students must submit both official high school and college transcripts and should have college transcripts sent prior to registration to ensure proper advisement. Transfer students are encouraged to read information under “Transfer Students” in this catalog section. To be considered official, transcripts either may be sent directly to SUNY Sullivan from the issuing institution or be hand-delivered in a sealed envelope sealed by the issuing institution. All transcripts and documents received become property of the College and will not be copied or transmitted to third parties, except in accordance with state law. Students with out-of-country high school transcripts must provide proof of high school graduation. Original records must be commercially evaluated. All transcripts from postsecondary institutions outside the United States must have a course-by-course commercial evaluation completed by an approved agency (listed online at ).

  5. Placement Tests
  6. All students, who enroll in credit courses and, who have not furnished appropriate test scores from New York State Regents or ACT, or SAT before registration, must test in the College Placement test for placement. Test scores are valid for two years from the date the test was taken. Students whose native language is not English and who did not graduate from a U.S. high school are required to prove college-level English proficiency.

  7. Immunizations
  8. Pursuant to New York State Public Health Law # 2165, prior to registration, each student accepted for admission at SUNY Sullivan must submit a signed SUNY Sullivan Immunization Form. SUNY Sullivan requires documented proof of immunizations to Measles, Mumps and Rubella. In addition, pursuant to New York State Public Health Law # 2167 students must also provide documentation of vaccinations against Meningococcal Meningitis or provide a signed waiver to declined vaccination.

  9. Orientation
  10. Orientation is required of all first-time-in-college, degree-seeking students. Orientation information and dates are mailed to all accepted students.

  11. Acceptance of Students
  12. Upon completion of all forms and assuming eligibility, the applicant will receive Conditions for Admission information at the student portal (MySUNYSullivan). Limited or selected admission programs require a second step in the admission process. Any student falsifying application records will be subject to immediate dismissal without refund.

Non-Degree Status

Students who have been admitted for credit course work may classify themselves as non-degree-seeking. (Credits will be granted for completed courses.) The non-degree status may be used only when it is not necessary for the student’s previous academic records to be on file. Students may take up to 12 credit hours as a non-degree-seeking student, at which time students must be degree-seeking. The non-degree status shall not be used with degree-seeking, certificate seeking students, students seeking any type of financial aid (Social Security, veteran benefits, federal grants, scholarships, etc.), or by international students on an F-1/M-1 visa. Non-degree-seeking students are not eligible for financial aid.

Non-degree-seeking students may be required to submit placement scores to register for certain courses. Please see the Course Listing section of this catalog, or speak with an academic advisor.

Readmitted Students

A former student who wishes to enroll in SUNY Sullivan classes after an absence of one semester or more should complete a new application for admission. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.

If you took courses at another institution you must send in transcripts (if seeking degree, or if necessary to satisfy prerequisites) to update admission records. Previously outstanding transcripts must be received prior to registration. All new transcripts should be received before registration but must be received within one term or the student may not register for subsequent terms.

Senior Citizen Reduced Tuition

Senior citizens 60 years of age or older may register (as an Audit) for up to a maximum of 2 (two) courses per term, only on the day designated, on a space-available basis if all prerequisites have been met. No college credit is awarded. While, no tuition is charged, course fees must be paid. For more information, contact the Office of Registration Services.

Student Retention and Completion

Information about student retention and completion in each of the academic programs is available to students through the Office of the Dean of Student Development Services. The availability of this information satisfies the federal requirement regarding dissemination of student consumer information.

If your application to SUNY Sullivan was denied

SUNY Sullivan has an acceptance criteria of a 65 GPA for students who are not from Sullivan County. However, students whose application to SUNY Sullivan has been rejected due to not meeting this requirement are able to appeal the decision by having three of their teachers fill out the Admissions Appeal Form.

In addition, the student must submit an essay explaining why their previous grades were weak, and what they will do differently in college.

All documents must be faxed to Admissions at 845-434-0923.

To speak with an admissions counselor, call 845-434-5750 ext. 4287 or email us at